Cheetah Mobile’s News Republic launches new ‘Made for Samsung’ app with exclusive features for Samsung Galaxy devices
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Cheetah Mobile Inc. (NYSE: CMCM), the leading mobile utility and content app developer, today announced an exclusive “Made for Samsung” app release of its News Republic mobile news app specifically designed for Samsung mobile products. Available today in the Samsung Galaxy Apps store, the “News Republic for Samsung” app introduces several exciting new features:
- Text-to-speech: Article pages now have a speaker icon that users can tap to activate text-to-speech functionality. Playback controls will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Long-press for more info: Within a news article, Samsung users can now long-press on a topic to view Wikipedia information without leaving the article.
- Edge Panel news: Samsung Galaxy S7 edge owners can get the freshest news, simply by opening their Edge Panel app. A list of Breaking News will appear, and a single tap will open the article of interest.
- Gear S3 widget: News Republic is now compatible with the Gear S3. The new widget displays the Top Stories, and users can click to read the full articles, with the help of a circular scroll bar, directly from their smartwatch.
- Newsstand: Users can select individual news outlets to follow from within the app. News Republic’s learning algorithm will also recommend content providers directly in the article list page.
“We’re thrilled to work closely with Samsung to offer this latest version of the News Republic app,” said Charles Fan, CTO of Cheetah Mobile. “New features like text-to-speech, long-press for more info, and Gear S3 support, will make News Republic’s personalized AI-powered experience even better for Samsung users. We know Samsung takes pride in offering their users new and innovative ways to consume news and interesting content, and we’re honored to provide a ‘Made for Samsung’ version of News Republic for their popular mobile devices.”
Cheetah Mobile acquired News Republic in 2016 to drive the company’s emergence as a leading mobile content company. The News Republic app has achieved the No.1 position in the News and Media category in over 60 countries on Google Play, and it has been No. 1 in News and Media in 23 countries/regions on iOS.
About Cheetah Mobile
Cheetah Mobile is a leading mobile internet company. It aims to provide leading apps for mobile users worldwide and connect users with personalized content on the mobile platform.
Cheetah Mobile’s products, including its popular mission-critical utility applications Clean Master, CM Security, and Battery Doctor, help make users’ mobile internet experience smarter, speedier, and safer. The Company has attracted 612 million global Mobile MAUs as of September 2016, of which approximately 80% are located outside of China. Leveraging the success of its mission-critical applications, Cheetah Mobile has launched its line of mobile content-driven applications, including News Republic and Live.me.
Cheetah Mobile provides its advertising customers, which include direct advertisers and mobile advertising networks through which advertisers place their advertisements, with direct access to highly targeted mobile users and global promotional channels, which are capable of delivering targeted content to hundreds of millions of users. For more information about Cheetah Mobile and its products, please visit www.cmcm.com.
Source: Cheetah Mobile